Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana

Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana
We Did It!

The World of Color

The World of Color
Such a perfect day with Ian

Athol Training Walk

Athol Training Walk
Hot Day, Long walk

Birthday Fundraiser

Birthday Fundraiser
Me and the Avon Team

AVON WALK EXPO

AVON WALK EXPO
ME and my new HER2 + Gal Pals

Avon Walk Expo

Avon Walk Expo
Team "NEVER STOP MOVING"

Last Surgery

Last Surgery
Port Removal

On to the healing

On to the healing

Ringing the bell

Ringing the bell

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #5

Chemo #5
5 down, 1 to GO!

New Years 2010

New Years 2010
Me and Cheryl Breast Cancer Vixens!

Chemo #4

Chemo #4
4 down, 2 to go

Chemo #3

Chemo #3
3 down 3 to go

Sunday, June 6, 2010

LOSS OF A BRAVE WARRIOR

June 6, 2010 Sunday

I know I haven't been blogging, sorry, but I've been focusing on just me for the past month. I realized once I had been on the Effexor for a while that I had been depressed for longer than I thought. So I took a step back and decided to reflect on what has passed over the last 10 months to me and really look at it for what it was. I was so busy "fighting" that I forgot about me, again. Once the "fighting" ebbed, I was left a sea, far under the water not knowing which way was up. It wasn't until I met with the Doctor that I was able to get a direction to move in.

I am sleeping so much better, the hot flashes, though still present, aren't as frequent, and my ability to cope with the usual ups and downs of Life is so much better. I actually did a lot of paperwork one day, and at the end of the day, I was so happy that I got so much done. I had "enjoyed" myself. That was a break through day. I've been working on training for teh Avon Walk in October, and entertained for 5 days the newest member of our family, Barkley, Sarah's new puppy. Sarah and Matt came in near the end of May, and we had a terrific week together. I puppy sat Barkley with Ed and Ian when Matt and Sarah headed off to see Broadway shows and visit with her friends. Barkley had his first experience at the Dog Park, and wore himself out having a blast with all the other small dogs. He is a Malti-poo and the cutest thing on Earth. And a good thing too, because he really liked to pee on my carpet! He is only a puppy though and he started to get it just in time to leave.

So they left with puppy in tow for LA and left us to our usual way of life. Matt is wonderful! I'm so happy that Sarah has him in her life. What a blessing.

On a sadder note, My FB Breast Angel, Beverly Ruby, lost her battle with Breast Cancer metastasis to the Brain and Lung. She was an amazing woman with the heart of a Warrior. She was only 45 years old, and fought to the bitter end. I will miss her encouragement. She helped me through a dark period of time. Beverly, Ruth, and I had a triangle of strength, and Ruth and I now walk with Beverly in our hearts. Ruth is doing the Chicago Avon Walk right now (her second day of the walk) Ruth knew her so much better than I and I know this had to be difficult for her. I am so PROUD of you Ruth for making it through this Walk. I carried you in my heart yesterday and today, sending you strength and energy. Beverly loved Dolphins and considered herself a bit of a mermaid. So Beverly, you are free now to return to the sea and swim with the Dolphins. Free of pain, free of suffering, free of Cancer. WE carry on for you, fighting and winning and raising awareness and funds to help women with no access to Health Care or money to pay for the treatments they need. We continue to raise funds to find THE CURE. There is one, it will be found, and we will find it.

I am doing a fund-raiser for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer on Tuesday, August 10th (my 49th Birthday) @ Via Della Pace 48 E. 7th ST in NYC (East Village). Come have dinner and 25% of your tab with go to the Avon Walk, thanks to Pietro, the owner. The food is wonderful, the wines are great, the company and the celebration Priceless. This is a Cash Only restaurant, so bring your dollars. (they do have an ATM machine). lol I am also trying to get a basket of goodies to raffle off. I am hoping to get a basket of "Be Good To Yourself" stuff, such as massage, mani/pedi, hair style, chiropractic, etc... Hope to see you there, so mark that calendar.

I am closing in on my new goal of $5400.00 at the Avon Walk, I only need $1,055.00 to meet that mark. I have formed a team, NEVER STOP MOVING. I have 3 wonderful women to walk with me. Cathy, Amy, and MaryAnn. I really want to raise a ton of money. My wild goal would be to raise enough to help one woman go from Mammogram all the way to the end of treatment. It is a tough and ambitious goal, but we are going to try our best!
So if you want to donate, go to Avonwalk.org/goto/MelissaCanaday, to donate to me or
Avonwalk.org/goto/CatherineBarna, Avonwalk.org/goto/AmyCavenaugh, or Avonwalk.org/MaryAnnReilly. To donate to anyone of these sites is to help us achieve our goal.

I'll be better at posting now, I promise. I only have 7 Herceptin Treatments to go. I can see the end and it looks so positive.

Light and Love,
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,Ed and all the gang sorry I have not been in touch but I have been thinking of you guys and you have been in our prayers.Great to see you looking so well and know that I have found your blog address I will pop in to see how your all doing.
    All our love,
    Michael,Sinead and Lorcan.
    From Ireland.

    ReplyDelete