Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana

Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana
We Did It!

The World of Color

The World of Color
Such a perfect day with Ian

Athol Training Walk

Athol Training Walk
Hot Day, Long walk

Birthday Fundraiser

Birthday Fundraiser
Me and the Avon Team

AVON WALK EXPO

AVON WALK EXPO
ME and my new HER2 + Gal Pals

Avon Walk Expo

Avon Walk Expo
Team "NEVER STOP MOVING"

Last Surgery

Last Surgery
Port Removal

On to the healing

On to the healing

Ringing the bell

Ringing the bell

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #5

Chemo #5
5 down, 1 to GO!

New Years 2010

New Years 2010
Me and Cheryl Breast Cancer Vixens!

Chemo #4

Chemo #4
4 down, 2 to go

Chemo #3

Chemo #3
3 down 3 to go

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

DAY AFTER CHEMO #2

November 4, 2009 Wednesday

What a difference a session makes. I went to my Chemo #2 yesterday, got my bloods drawn, and headed up to the Doctor's office to have my check up before chemo and get the results of the morning blood draw. And the news continues to be good. My white blood cell count is 10,400 (very good), my hemoglobin was 11 down from 11.4. Still, not so bad. If it drops below 11 we'll have to discuss transfusion, anyone out there in the NYC area a clean O+? Just in case? So after the usual, "You amaze me that you don't look sick" discussion and how much he loved my wig, Dr. Speyer sent me downstairs for Chemo. By the way, I made him openly laugh. And now I'm convinced he is related to Ed Begley, Jr., because when I told him my wig was Sarah's from a prior Halloween, he responded, " Well, good for you! You are going green by reusing, recycling, reducing!" Gotta be at least a cousin.

I head downstairs to Chemo treatment. Tuesday was super crowded at the center. My appointment was at 12:30pm, but it was 10:45am, so Cathy and I waited in the waiting room, and I was telling Cathy that she really must quit smoking and I thought that chanting would help her. I said whenever she feels the urge to smoke she should take that moment to chant Nam Moyoho Renge Kyo until the urge goes away. This will help you to quit. So we sat discussing what it's done to help me, and a beautiful African-American woman approached us, and asked, "Are you a practicing Buddhist?" To which I responded, "Are you a member of SGI?" And from there we were fast friends. She is from Queens and has been chanting for over 30 years. Our journeys linked together by Breast Cancer. Funny how that happens. Both of us positive happy souls, taking this Winter on with the assured knowledge of the impending Spring. So we promised to chant for each other, and I hope to be there when the bell rings three times for her when her chemo is done. She was called in for treatment, and I felt so happy that I've met someone who gets the power of those amazing words ~ Nam Moyoho Renge Kyo.

I got called in at Noon, but the fancy chairs weren't available so a got a room with a bed, which turned out to be better for me that day, because Ed joined us and the room was larger than the chair rooms, and I got to lay down and fade in and out. Cathy and I ordered lunch and each gave the other one half of our sandwiches because we both couldn't decide which one to get. We shared stories, and watched One Life To Live and I got high on Benadryl and Ed showed up, and we had a great time. My Chemo nurse Katy is leaving to work with Kids with Cancer at Sloan Kettering. I just Know they will love her, she is so sweet. I will miss her, and somehow I didn't get her, but I got my daughter's namesake, Sarah. Sarah is from Canada, and she is so cute! So I'm hoping that I get to have her for the rest of the time I have chemo. I was at the center for 7 hours!!!! The Pharmacy sent up a recalled Carboplatin bag in which the tubing had been recalled because it made the IV pump falsley read large air bubbles. So we tried to make it work, but of course it didn't, so we had to wait for the pharmacy to send up a good bag, and that ate the time. So we finally got sprung at 5PM and headed home.

I have to say, I felt pretty great. I lacked that disorientation this time around, no headache, no super doped. We got home and Ed's co-actor in Seafarer, Michael Judd, called and was in the neighborhood at a restaurant and invited us over. We had just gotten back from the market, but we tossed everything into the frig and headed over to see Michael because he is heading back to Ireland today, and who knows when we'll see him again. What a great evening. I had Lentil soup. Very mild, not spicy! And it tasted so great! We met new people, and they were as lovely as Michael. But par for the course, My energy began to wane, so we said our goodbyes, and promised Michael that we would come visit in Ireland next year, because Ian had declared it so. I came home, printed sides for Ian for his auditions today, ran lines, and crashed into bed.

I slept so easily last night, and I woke up refreshed and happy, feeling good, not sick like last time. No headache, no nausea, no gurgling bowel. So what was the difference? I spoke to the Doctor about the issues I had. The headaches, the IBS symptoms and the unending diarreha, and we all came to the same conclusion, that I must have had a virus. The low-grade fever should have been a sign, I just didn't put it all together. We discussed a different plan of attack should the Grip return, and I'm confident that I won't have this issue with this Treatment.

Today is a busy day, I have to take Ian to two auditions, a play and a pilot. Ed has two commercial auditions, and at 5PM I head up to the Cancer Center for my Neulasta injection. Then I'll tuck in for the night, kiss my boys, and hopefully get the dates from Sarah so I can book her flight home for Thanksgiving. Then I'll crawl into bed with my sweetie and sleep peacefully.

I have so much to be thankful for, and they are the simple things. Be appreciative of the simple things, The Big Things are random and wonderful, however, they are often times far apart. It is the simple things, the everyday mundane, teeny tiny happy things that matter the most. So find at least 3 things today that make you happy. Something that just makes that smile creep across your face. Life is good, you just have to open your eyes and your heart to get it.

Nite!
Light and Love!
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I learned from cancer too that it's the small things that make life worth living. You're right, big things happen but they are not what sustain us.

    I am glad you are doing better than last time. It is so good for your outlook on the future to not feel that chemo is making you sick as it feels like it's cancer.

    You are doing it. You're in the thick of things. Keep going. Before long, it'll be over and you'll start living without a cancer schedule.

    Love to you, Ruth

    ReplyDelete