Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana

Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana
We Did It!

The World of Color

The World of Color
Such a perfect day with Ian

Athol Training Walk

Athol Training Walk
Hot Day, Long walk

Birthday Fundraiser

Birthday Fundraiser
Me and the Avon Team

AVON WALK EXPO

AVON WALK EXPO
ME and my new HER2 + Gal Pals

Avon Walk Expo

Avon Walk Expo
Team "NEVER STOP MOVING"

Last Surgery

Last Surgery
Port Removal

On to the healing

On to the healing

Ringing the bell

Ringing the bell

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #5

Chemo #5
5 down, 1 to GO!

New Years 2010

New Years 2010
Me and Cheryl Breast Cancer Vixens!

Chemo #4

Chemo #4
4 down, 2 to go

Chemo #3

Chemo #3
3 down 3 to go

Sunday, November 15, 2009

GOOD FOOD GOOD FRIENDS

November 15, 2009 Sunday

Explosions are good. They shake things up and when the dust settles things are clearer, and stress is relieved. I woke on Friday feeling so much better. My chemo fog was lifting from my guts although the IBS issues continued but with less of the discomfort. Friday was Parent/Teacher Conference for our son, Ian. Ian's first year in High School, and Ian was nervous about what his grades would be, certain they would be less than A's, he runs on and on that we shouldn't expect what he normally got in Middle School, hoping for B's but afraid of C's. My quiet confidence in him unshaken. So I let him ramble on with excuse after excuse as we walked to the school. You have to understand something about Ian, he is Wicked Smart, and knows it. Those who know him, know just how smart he is. I've been blessed with incredibly smart children, both High Honors students, Math and Science ~ Excelling, Writing ~ Brilliant!, Language ~ good Ears! We wait in the hallway for the Guidance Advisor. At Beacon the parent meets with only the Guidance Advisor, a much more civilized way of doing this school business. If there is a problem, a meeting is set up with the teacher for the class in question. Did I say I LOVE BEACON? Cuz I do. We are met by Ian's Guidance Advisor/Bio-Chem teacher, a kind man who reminds me of Oliver Sacks. Jolly and open with a full beard wizened with grey. We introduce ourselves and he takes in a deep breath, Ian pales a little and Mr. Rosenbluth says, "Well, Ian is just simply doing fantastic." The report card slides across the table and there they are, A's, A-'s, and two B+'s. Spanish and Bio-Chem get the B+'s, but the comments are those two grades are so close to A-'s that even that is negligible. A great participator, asks great questions, always ready to work. The Spanish grade can come up if he goes to tutoring the day before quizzes and tests. The science grade will come up because the teacher is certain that Ian understands how the class works now. We discuss Ian working on a showcase that will have him missing some classes during the next couple of months, but we have tutors at the ready, and Ian understands that it is on him, the big test of his organizational skills to keep his grades up. We shake hands and exit laughing and feeling so PROUD!

We do some errands and head home to rest for the rest of the night. Dinner at Roe's house. Dinner at Roe's house is always a fun evening. Our friends Michael and Elle come up from Florida, Mark and Alice come from Brooklyn and then our host, the lovely Rosemarie, aka Roe. Roe thinks of everything. Knowing my chemo malady and limited food palette, Roe has made food just for me, and food for everyone else. Mark and Alice bring their Swedish Meatballs (of which I can't have Boo!), and Michael and Elle arrive fashionably late. Much is made of my new "Hairdo" the head tied up in a scarf learned from the woman from Trinidad days earlier. We speak only briefly of the cancer, and quickly move on to better topics. Good Friends, Good Food, and then Mark and Alice break out Christmas presents for all of us. I get a lovely vintage Echo scarf (eat your hearts out), Ed and the others get videos and CD's of music put together by Mark. We move to dinner and while others munch on meatballs and Lemon Roasted Chicken, I get the special chicken made just for me. Although the chicken is simply made with no seasoning, it is delicious. Beets, yummy. Noodles, plain but I needed seconds. Asparagus, perfect. I suddenly had an appetite. Michael teases me to slow down, and can't believe how much I'm eating. But it was so good, I couldn't stop. Dessert arrives, Tiramisu for the masses, canned peaches for the Queen. We laugh and joke about me taking out advertising on my bald head to help pay for chemo. Any takers? It will be expensive. ; P

But all good things come to an end. Cinderella stayed too long at the Ball, and when this Cinderella stays too long, the bathroom is the pumpkin. The rest of my evening was locked in the bathroom. Shit. Figuratively and Literally. Ed helps me into a cab and I sleep all the way home. Chemo related IBS I Hate you. You ruin my fun. Yesterday was spent resting and feeling gurgly and gross.

I watched the heart-stopping Nebraska vs. Kansas game. Of which Nebraska won. GO BIG RED!! But really guys, I stayed too long at the Ball last night, you could have played more convincingly, that would have helped my gut. I tried to clean the kid's room to prepare for Sarah's return for the Holiday, but only got as far as the declaration. Perhaps today, but I doubt it. For I have things to do, places to go, and people to meet. I'm having a girl's out Brunch and then I coach my college bound girl for two hours this evening. Maybe the boys will surprise me with a clean organized room upon my return. Come on, one can dream...

Here's to a week full of feeling good. I plan on Dance class this week, my goal, three classes. My daughter returns in one week. My son is an Honor Student, and I have wonderful friends!
IBS is an annoyance, it doesn't rule my life. I have more good than bad in my life. I'm lucky! I'm blessed! I'm still here!

Nite!
Light and Love!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment