Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana

Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana
We Did It!

The World of Color

The World of Color
Such a perfect day with Ian

Athol Training Walk

Athol Training Walk
Hot Day, Long walk

Birthday Fundraiser

Birthday Fundraiser
Me and the Avon Team

AVON WALK EXPO

AVON WALK EXPO
ME and my new HER2 + Gal Pals

Avon Walk Expo

Avon Walk Expo
Team "NEVER STOP MOVING"

Last Surgery

Last Surgery
Port Removal

On to the healing

On to the healing

Ringing the bell

Ringing the bell

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #5

Chemo #5
5 down, 1 to GO!

New Years 2010

New Years 2010
Me and Cheryl Breast Cancer Vixens!

Chemo #4

Chemo #4
4 down, 2 to go

Chemo #3

Chemo #3
3 down 3 to go

Monday, February 15, 2010

VALENTINE'S DAY

February 15, 2010 Monday

First of all, Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you had a love filled day. Mine started with my gift sitting on the kitchen table. Ed made a butsudan for me. Butsudan? What the heck is that? It is a case for my gohonzon. The scroll I chant to. It is beautiful and I love love love it! I'll post a picture of it soon. While the boys were asleep I slipped out the door to the Culture Center to get my dose of energy for the week. Tea/Coffee afterwards with my gals, and encouraging conversation. I have to say that this past weekend was simply wonderful.

My son's show was extended, and on Saturday Gloria Steinem came to the show; as well as Anthony Rapp. What an incredible night for my son. But for me, Saturday was an awe inspiring day. I was asked to give my experience to a group of women at the Culture Center. I had prepared the text for a couple of weeks, and was excited and nervous about speaking in front of these women. But once I got up there, it became easy to speak, to share my journey with them. We all cried; crying tears of inspiration and hope. When I finished and looked up to the crowd of 50 strong women, the kleenex was flying and tears were flowing, and I knew I had faced my demons. It validated my cause. To win, to be victorious, to share my cause of hope and caring for ourselves. I've gotten several women to schedule mammograms, but if I had only inspired one woman to do so, I would have won. Now, I know my cause is huge, because I got many to think about what it means to take of oneself. The afternoon rolled on with three other women sharing their experiences, and each one unique, each one inspiring, and each one common with the message of caring for self. From the legacy of Great-grandmothers to grandmothers to mothers to daughters and breaking the tendency of self loathing, to looking for love in all the wrong places only to find love within, to battling colon cancer; walking right up to the edge of death and winning against insurmountable odds. The room was flooded with tears and laughter and hope. The message, We are stronger than we ever imagined ourselves to be, and so are you

I met a woman who made a documentary out of the stills and film footage her father took of her. An award winning documentary on the abuse she suffered her entire childhood. She is an inspiration in hope. Her strength after she found this stash of sickness, of poison and turned it into medicine was incredible. Her father had stripped her of her power, and in his death she has grabbed it back. go to this site to see her documentary.

themarinaexperiment.com

Warning! it is disturbing, and images are very disturbing, but it sends its message loud and clear. It is obvious why it has won so many awards. I say, When will Oprah have her on her show? It is that powerful.

The weekend was about more than just love, it was about self-love. Turning poison into medicine, and strength.

Last night Ed and I returned to our favorite restaurant Caffe Della Pace for a romantic dinner. The first time out to eat in a very long time. It felt normal again last night. Normal feels AWESOME. We returned home and I drifted off to dreamland happy and inspired to face this week.

This morning in about an hour I start my "herceptin only" treatment for the rest of the year. Next week, I begin radiation. I have a strength I didn't know existed to face down the rest of treatment.

Goals, to do the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in October. Anyone interested in joining me? I have to register yet, but I will do it. Thanks Ruth for inspiring me to do the walk.

To turn this blog into a One-Woman show and get it produced.

To continue to find Joy in life.

To become the best possible person I can be.

Have a wonderful week full of love, joy, and peace.

Nite!
Light and Love!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment