Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana

Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana
We Did It!

The World of Color

The World of Color
Such a perfect day with Ian

Athol Training Walk

Athol Training Walk
Hot Day, Long walk

Birthday Fundraiser

Birthday Fundraiser
Me and the Avon Team

AVON WALK EXPO

AVON WALK EXPO
ME and my new HER2 + Gal Pals

Avon Walk Expo

Avon Walk Expo
Team "NEVER STOP MOVING"

Last Surgery

Last Surgery
Port Removal

On to the healing

On to the healing

Ringing the bell

Ringing the bell

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #5

Chemo #5
5 down, 1 to GO!

New Years 2010

New Years 2010
Me and Cheryl Breast Cancer Vixens!

Chemo #4

Chemo #4
4 down, 2 to go

Chemo #3

Chemo #3
3 down 3 to go

Monday, October 12, 2009

CHEMO EVE

October 12, 2009 Monday

Remember how Holiday Eve's were fun? Christmas Eve, News Year's Eve...now I have Chemo Eve. Christmas Eve I got to open one present of my choice. News Year's Eve I got to crack a bottle of champagne. Chemo Eve I get to pop two pills that lower my immune system. Let the poisoning begin! This Third Chapter in my Breast Cancer Journey has felt like it's been on pause forever! Finally, it's about to begin. The list of meds to counter-act the chemo is amazing.

Dexamethasone ~ to treat allergies, arthritis, asthma, and skin conditions among others. Side effect? Lowered immune system.

Emend ~ to help prevent nausea and vomiting. May make me drowsy.

Prochlorper (compazine) suppository ~ to help prevent nausea and vomiting. Side effects - drowsiness, dizziness, congestion, blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation

Prochlorper (compazine) tablets ~ to help prevent nausea and vomiting. Side effects - refer to the suppository side effects.

Granisetron ~ to help prevent nausea and vomiting. Side effects - diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, weakness, headache, fever, dizziness, drowsiness, trouble sleeping, and anxiety.

Okay, so let me get this straight, I have 4 medications to prevent nausea and vomiting. All of them will make me drowsy, constipated, give me diarrhea, and even though I'll be drowsy, I won't be able to sleep. And those are just the pills that will help counteract the Chemo. WOW! I can't wait to feel like sh*t. but I won't barf. That's a plus. I'm just glad I only have to do the chemo dance once every 3 weeks for 6 dances. After that, my dance card will be permanently filled. As in Luigi will have every dance.

I've spent a lot of time meditating and chanting about this, and I've made up my mind to get through this with steadfast determination. I will feel terrific, so remind me of that if I need it. Mind over matter. I have places to go, people to meet, things to do. I refuse to let this control my life.

This morning I met my Physical Therapist, Lauren. I like her, we will get along like Peas and Carrots. My arm's range of motion is not too bad, all things considered, and I want to get back to dance class, and she won't let me until she says so. So trust me, I will work very hard to get her approval.

So for me, I head to bed with hardly the anticipation of Santa coming down the chimney, nor the anticipation of the News Year's kiss at Midnight with my Sweet Ed, but I anticipate with the eagerness of the child waiting for Christmas Morning and the joy of News Year's Kisses; the promise of a better year full of GOOD HEALTH, WEALTH, AND HAPPINESS.

May we all find that every single day. I had a great day. Tomorrow will be the first foot on a new path heading to a new chapter...Chapter 4 ~ Radiation.

Nite!
Light and Love!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment