Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana

Cathy, Me, Joaquin, Viviana
We Did It!

The World of Color

The World of Color
Such a perfect day with Ian

Athol Training Walk

Athol Training Walk
Hot Day, Long walk

Birthday Fundraiser

Birthday Fundraiser
Me and the Avon Team

AVON WALK EXPO

AVON WALK EXPO
ME and my new HER2 + Gal Pals

Avon Walk Expo

Avon Walk Expo
Team "NEVER STOP MOVING"

Last Surgery

Last Surgery
Port Removal

On to the healing

On to the healing

Ringing the bell

Ringing the bell

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #6 the last chemo treatment

Chemo #5

Chemo #5
5 down, 1 to GO!

New Years 2010

New Years 2010
Me and Cheryl Breast Cancer Vixens!

Chemo #4

Chemo #4
4 down, 2 to go

Chemo #3

Chemo #3
3 down 3 to go

Friday, October 23, 2009

MY BFF CATHY

October 23, 2009 Friday

What is a BFF? Many people have many definitions of that title. A gal-pal to go shoe shopping with. A gal-pal to go clubbing with. A co-worker who always has your back. A sister. A partner-in-crime. A Thelma to Louise. An Angel.

My BFF is my Angel, my soul-sister, my heart. Cathy. Never on God's Green Planet has there been a more selfless person. She thinks of everyone before herself. She will always have your back if you are lucky enough to know to her. She cares deeply, with compassion and love. I am the luckiest gal on Earth to have her as a friend. Okay, so I've waxed poetic about my BFF Cathy, and those who know her, know exactly what I speak of. Those who don't, know that if you have a "Cathy" in your life, you have been smiled upon by God. Yeah. She is that good.

So, through all of this chaos I have found myself in, Cathy has always been there with quiet compassion, a sweet hug, and unafraid to cry. We don't get to see each other enough, that is certain, but on the other hand, I have always known that she was there. I'm not the only beneficiary of her love and compassion. She also has a friend that is going through a life-long struggle with Chron's. She was there for her, too. Sitting by her side in the hospital after a simple procedure turned complicated when a surgeon cut a bile duct. oops. That simple procedure turned into a complicated long hospital stay, and has jeopardized this woman's job. Cathy was there. Steady, strong, the mom of the gal-pals. She doesn't know it, but she is the best of all of us. She works, she's a mom of two great kids, a wife to a fellow Leo (hey Johnny!), and takes care of everyone around her, even those who don't really deserve it, but Cathy finds the strength to give and give and give. She is a lesson to all of us in Human Compassion.

Cathy had been sick with a cold so we hadn't been able to see each other, because Cat didn't want to expose me to the cold. (See what I mean?) So we spoke on the phone, and for the past few days, as you know, I haven't been doing so well. I filled Cat in on what was going on, and how I just wished I could go to an acupuncturist to cut the nausea and the pain of the gripping of my bowels. That's all I said. I told her that I'd have to cancel my trip to see Ed in The Seafarer up in Albany, if I wasn't feeling better, and that had me feeling defeated. That the Cancer was beating me up (the treatment rather), and I was in agony from the pain. She listened carefully, we cried as I told her of the new respect I have for my daughter, and we laughed as I, in my usual fashion, tried to make light when the conversation started to turn to the dark side. All the while, Cathy was trying to think of something to make things better for me.

The next day, Cathy did think of something. I received an email from her giving me a phone number. A number that turned things around. She got to thinking over night, and reached out to one of the clients at the chiropractor's office she works at. This woman is an acupuncturist. Jackie Payne. Cathy, being the BFF ever, has given me the best gift I've ever gotten in my whole entire life, including the WiiFit that Ian gave me, she is paying for my acupuncture treatments. So after each chemo session, I will see Jackie Payne, acupuncturist, to help me with the nausea and irritable bowel issues. See what I mean? Best gift, ever! Best Friend, Ever! I burst into tears when I read the email. I called her right away and thanked her. Her response? "I could have bought you an expensive scarf, but lots of people will do that. I wanted to give you something that would really help you. It just clicked on the phone last night, and Jackie wants to help." BFF!!!!!

So I made my appointment and was seen yesterday. I love Jackie Payne. We hit it off right away, she gets me. The session went really well, and it was so nice to lay there on the table full of needles in my legs and arms and NOT feel the sour stomach, the gripping bowel, and exhaustion of chemo. I left without pain, and was actually hungry for the first time in days. I got a turkey sandwich, white bread and mayo only. It wasn't the best sandwich I've ever had, but it was good. What's more, the true test...no The Grip after eating. Did acupuncture make me 100% better? No. But it helped to calm things down, and my body is returning to normal. Do I still have bowel issues? Yes, but they are manageable now. I can go to Albany without concern. I'll be able to sit through a 2 1/2 hour show without concern. Did I sleep well last night? Absolutely! I woke on my own this morning without assistance from the alarm clock, I feel clearer of mind, my stomach still has that sour feeling, but not as bad. My bowels still are out of line, but not as bad. I have energy, something I lacked all week long. I have my pep back, and with it my hope and tenacity.

What is a BFF? A BFF is someone who digs deep and gives from the heart, and doesn't settle on the usual get well gift. A BFF is AN ANGEL. Cathy you have been, are, and will always be my BFF. I only hope that I can live up to your example of friendship.

Feeling Better because of my dear dear dear BFF Cathy! I Love You!!
Nite!
Love and Light!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment